The athletically and musically talented, Simone Asque, is currently in her second professional season overseas. She first played in Limassol, Cyprus and is currently playing in Copenhagen, Denmark. With a couple years under her belt, she knows the essentials she needs to pack when overseas for months at a time.
1. I have an android cell phone with T-Mobile and because of that I can use the Wifi calling feature – which means when I’m on wifi I can use my phone just like I’m back home in Chicago. So I don’t get charged extra for being overseas, I get all of my texts and voicemails, make phone calls to take care of business back home, and most importantly I can call my family and they can call me.
2. Lactase tablets. I am severely lactose intolerant but I love ice cream and chocolate, and sometimes at team meals there is nothing without lactose in it. But with lactase enzyme tablets I can still eat food with milk, cheese, and butter in it. So I bring about 500 tablets at a minimum to get me through until xmas, and then I restock while at home.
3. A portable suitcase weigher is really nice to have because after living somewhere for several months you accumulate a lot of stuff. The fee for overweight luggage is very high so I like knowing if I have space for more or if I need to give away some stuff.
4. I play several instruments and I write music so I always have to bring or scan my songbooks, and buying a guitar is one of the first purchases I make.
5. My kindle. I love to read and with my kindle I can bring a whole bookshelf worth of books without the actual weight of it all in my suitcase.