On the subject of post season, we stand at 19-14 with 11 regular season games. The 44 game schedule is an increase from last years’ 35 game schedule in the league. Personally, it’s a huge increase from the 26 game schedule from my days in Spain. Our final match will be on the road on May 2nd. There will be approximately a week before the best-of-3 playoffs series’ begin. Our preseason training began way back on August 1st and for a successful team, you can find yourself playing well into the months of May or June depending on which country/league you play in. That’s a 10 long months of training, travel, practice and games; taking care of your body means so much more now than it ever did before!
My 5 Personal Injury Precautionary Actions
1. STRETCH – We all probably stretch before practice which is obviously important but many of us skip stretching AFTER activity. Muscles have just been exercised and as important as it is for you to “warm up”, it is just equally important for you to stretch and “cool down.” Stay limber!
2. LIFT – Lifting weights keeps your body toned, under some sort of strain and continually has your muscles repairing themselves. Without lifting, your muscles become softened or weakened. Your ability to take hits or minor injuries become reduced due the inactivity of your muscles working.
3. DRINK WATER – This goes without saying, flushing your body of toxins, waste and staying hydrated all have their benefits. Drinking water will not directly avoid injuries, it will only improve your body in functioning properly which in turn may reduce the chances of you getting hurt.
4. REST – We all know the body repairs itself during sleep. Enough said!
5. PREHAB – Rather than rehab after you’ve sustained an injury, develop strength and mobility in key areas in your body that are weak. You know your body better than anyone else. Determine what little tweaks your body needs and start building durability today.
As we near the end of the regular season, remaining focused mentally will prove to be more useful than any physical attribute. This is where good teams separate themselves from the mediocre group. To all my fellow athletes going through the grind of the season, push through and stay healthy!
Until next time my fellow readers, thank you for reading! Please subscribe, share, tweet, etc. The goal is reach as many readers nationally and globally. Thank you for all of your support thus far.