Having a dead or 5% full battery is the worse when traveling on a 5hr bus ride with your team or when you have a long travel day in the airport. If you’re lucky you’ll find an open outlet, if not, say goodbye to your phone and life. Well, not anymore. We recently came across a few charging options that may extend your phones battery life.
Phone case with extra battery
“The mophie Juice Pack Helium is the first rechargeable battery case for iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s. Thanks to its 1500mAh battery and ultra-thin design, the Helium can extend your iPhone battery life by 80%—without the weight you’d expect from a battery. Designed with sleek lines and a focus on a great user experience, the Juice Pack Helium delivers power and protection while complementing the beauty of your iPhone.” [Apple.com overview]
- Complete edge to edge protection for iPhone 5 or 5s
- Rechargeable smart battery concealed inside an ultra-thin, lightweight, soft-touch case
- Smart battery technology instructs the iPhone to always drain the Juice Pack’s battery first
- Toggle between charging and standby with the flip of a switch
- Certified “Made for iPhone” product
- Integrated four-light LED status indicator to show how much battery is left; know before you go
- Simultaneously charge your iPhone and Juice Pack
- Pro + The case chargers as you charge your iPhone, so no having to remember to plug it in separately to charge (options for a separate charge via USB port available too)
- Con – as much as they say “without adding bulk’ it is still bulkier than your average phone case and extends the physical length of your iPhone
- Pro + the second least expensive option we are listing ($79.95 on Apple.com)
- Pro + If use as your main case you will always have a backup/extra charge waiting to be activated – no need to bring extra equipment to charge/activate
- Con – Can only recharge your apple iPhone, you can not share it with your teammate with a droid or use it to charge your iPad
Phone case with extra battery + extra GB storage
“You can now save more and delete less with the all-new space pack. It’s the extra power you love from mophie, now with built-in storage. Double your battery and store more photos, videos, music, and documents than ever before.” [Apple.com overview]
“Free Space app lets you manage, share, and access everything stored in space pack’s memory.”
- Additional 16GB or 32GB of extra storage integrated into the rechargeable battery case
- Up to 100% extra battery capacity for charging on-the-go
- The Space app allows you to easily manage, organize, and share files on the space pack
- Take photos with the Space app and save them straight to the space pack without using any storage on your iPhone
- Play videos and music directly from the space pack through the iPhone
- Share content via AirDrop, email, iMessage, Dropbox, and more
- Integrated four-light LED status indicator to show how much battery is left and allows access to space pack storage
Buy on Apple.com: here
- Pretty much the same “Pros” and “Cons” as it’s brother, listed above, minus the storage feature
- Pro + We take a lot of pictures overseas, so being able to add up to 32GB of more storage is HUGE. If you made a mistake and didn’t buy the 32GB iPhone origionally, here is your chance to make up for it.
- Con – Our most expensive option running at $149.95 at Apple.com
Portable power stick
Sharper Image Power Pocket Portable Power For Mobile Device
- Add more than a full charge or 9 hours of additional talk time to your iPhone 5 / 4 / 4S / 3G / 3GS. On most other phones, benefit from 1 full charge or 90+ hours of audio playback.
- Stylish, compact, lightweight design (3.5 x 0.9 x 0.9in, 2.7oz) fits easily into any pocket or bag.
- Shaped to resemble a flashlight or tube of lipstick to provide durable and inconspicuous power at any moment’s notice.
- Constructed using Samsung Grade A cells and premium microchips to ensure the highest quality. Charge time: 3-4 hours via AC 0.8A adapter (not included).
- Package contents: Anker® Astro Mini 3000mAh External Battery, Micro USB power wire, travel pouch, instruction manual.
Find similar item on Amazon.com: Here
- Pro + It’s not bulky and does not add size to your mobile device
- Pro + It can be used for any type of phone
- Pro + least expensive (We bought ours at TJ Maxx on sale for $14)
- Con – Requires a USB cord to charge phone. That’s a lot of stuff to keep handy and remember to pack on the go
- Con – Must charge separate from mobile device. It doesn’t charge at the same time like it would if it were built into your phone case
Share with us your back up charging options!