Driving Abroad

Are you planning to drive abroad? If so, it’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with local driving rules before you go.

Even if you regularly drive abroad – it’s still important as it is if you’re planning your first trip because rules and requirements change.


Here we provide touring tips that will help you get on the road, stay safe and enjoy the journey.

You will need a driving license from your country in order to drive abroad – you may also need an International Driving Permit.


Driving in Europe

Those from EU/EEA countries can drive with their national driving licence in all European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) countries, and Switzerland.

The EU/EEA countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden.

Check with a European motoring organisation for rules European countries.

Driving internationally

You will likely need an International Driving Permit to drive in any other country but your own. Some countries allow you to drive on your national drivers license for up to six months.

Getting an International Driving Permit

This will vary from country to country. Often you can get an International Driving Permit directly from the your motoring agency. If not, they will be able to tell you how.

Advice on driving in specific countries

Motoring organizations have advice on driving in specific countries, including information on compulsory equipment.

Moving abroad

If you move abroad, check with the driving licence authorities there to find out how to get a local driving licence.

Our site directs you to touring tips that include information about compulsory equipment requirements as well as covering local rules on drinking and driving, use of lights, speed limits, carrying children and so on.  They also include more general advice on things like fuel availability and tolls.

A country by country guide to local rules for drivers:  http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/general_advice.html

All you need to know about Driving Abroadand in Europe, plus use our handy Driving Abroad Checklist: http://www.rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/


(Link to original article)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

%d bloggers like this: